Monday 27 January 2014

Sweet Kelp Brown Bread

A loaf of brown bread with sweet kelp seaweed
I've just finished baking my first loaf of seaweed bread. I based it on a recipe I found here and added some sweet kelp.

Ingredients used:

400g of wholemeal flour
100g of plain white flour
7g packet of dried yeast
1 tbsp of soft butter
8g of dried sweet kelp
A mix of linseed, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
About 300ml of lukewarm water

I followed the instructions by mixing together the flour, yeast, butter, seeds and seaweed in a large bowl before adding most of the water. I then kneaded the dough for about 8 minutes, adding a little water to pick up the dry dough from the surface of the bowl. I set it aside covered for an hour for the yeast to do its job. I also kneaded it briefly at this stage to remove any large air bubbles and again left it for another hour. I added some more seeds to the top before baking in the oven at 230C for about half an hour.
The first slice

A few minutes later


No comments:

Post a Comment